Benesse House Museum
Benesse House Museum opened in 1992 as a facility integrating a museum with a hotel, based on the concept of "coexistence of nature, art and architecture." Designed by Tadao Ando, the facility is built on high ground overlooking the Seto Inland Sea and features large apertures that serve to open up the interior to the splendid natural surroundings. In addition to exhibiting the painting, sculpture, photography, and installations in its collection, the Museum also contains permanent site-specific installations that artists have created especially for the building, selecting locations on their own and designing the works for those spaces. The Museum's artworks are found not just within its galleries, but in all parts of the building, as well as in scattered locations along the seashore that borders the complex and in the nearby forest. Benesse House Museum is truly a rare site where nature, art, and architecture come together, in an environment containing numerous site-specific works created for the natural environs of Naoshima or inspired by the architectural spaces they inhabit.
Hours ＆ Admission
※Opening hours have been temporarily shortened to 10:00 am-6:00 pm
- 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
(Last admittance: 8:00 pm)
- Open year-round
Open Days Calendar
- JPY 1,050
* Free admission for children of 15 and under and overnight guests at Benesse House.
- Available for sale on the spot
Facilities and Services
For handicapped visitors
Due to characteristics of facility, some places are not accessible for visitors with disabilities and special needs.
We ask for your understanding.
We will support you as much as possible when you visit us, so please contact and discuss directly with our facilities.
(2)About lending wheelchairs, etc.
・Wheelchairs: We have 2 wheelchairs available on a first-come, first-served basis.
・Writing tools: Available.
・Multi-purpose toilets: Available.
・You may enter our facilities with a service dog, a seeing eye dog, and/or a hearing assistance dog.
- ・No discounts are offered for groups and holders of Disability Certificates (Physical Disability Certificates, Rehabilitation Certificates, or Mental Disability Certificates) are not granted free entry.
- ・We accept the following credit cards: AMEX, Diners, JCB, Master Card, NICOS, VISA.
Requests to visitors
When visiting the museum
- ・Please do not bring large objects (suitcases, umbrellas, tripods, etc.) into the museum.
- ・Pets may not be taken into the museum.
- ・Smoking is prohibited on the museum premises.
- ・The use of cell phones is prohibited on the museum premises.
- ・Other than in the cafe, visitors may not eat (including candy, gum, boxed lunches, etc.) or drink on the museum premises.
- ・Visitors may be refused entry if they appear intoxicated or otherwise pose a disturbance to other visitors.
When viewing the artworks
- ・Please do not touch the walls, the glass, or the artworks themselves.
- ・Please do not take photographs, videos, or make sketches in the museum. Visitors are also requested not to use fountain pens, ink, etc.
About using drone
- ・It's strictly prohibited to operate Unmanned Aircrafts (UAs) /Drone in Benesse Art Site Naoshima premises without our prior permission due to safety assurance reasons for the people, architecture and artworks.